We’ve pulled together the following information on dealing with COVID-19 that may prove useful to your Radio Scouting activities.
Please note that each state, municipality, and Scout council have their own guidance for addressing COVID-19 issues surrounding Scouting activities. You’ll need to take those into account when considering any Radio Scouting activities.
As starting points, we recommend the following online resources:
- Restart Scouting Checklist covering supervision, assessment, fitness/skill, and equipment/environment. https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/HealthSafety/pdf/680-693.pdf
- National Statement on COVID-19 with other links. https://www.scouting.org/coronavirus/
- COVID-19 FAQ Boy Scouts of America. https://www.scouting.org/coronavirus/covid-19-faq/
- Bryan on Scouting summary of Advancement during COVID-19. https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2020/03/25/advancement-during-covid-19-official-details-about-eagle-extensions-and-more/
- Cleaning Guidelines for Icom Radios. https://www.icomjapan.com/news/2697/
- Clean and disinfect your two-way radios. https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2020/04/how-to-clean-and-disinfect-your-two-way-radios.html
Work closely with your local Scout council and health authorities as guidelines are open to change as local conditions change.
We’ve also pulled together these comments about Jamboree on the Air and the Radio Merit Badge from Bill Stearns, NE4RD, Scouts BSA JOTA Team Lead and President of K2BSA ARA, as well as Gary Wilson, K2GW, the Scouts BSA Radio Merit Badge Subject Matter Expert.
Here’s what they have to say specifically about the QSO requirement for the Radio Merit Badge:
Our sense is that you could easily complete the entire Radio Merit Badge through online options.